Copywriting / editing / content strategy / content management
My average rate is $150/hour. I’ll be able to provide an official estimate after a sync and discussion about your needs.
My rate does shift depending on the type of editing, tasks, and the scope of work you need. For example, large projects may have a lower rate if we meet a minimum number of work hours. Projects where you provide me with a pre-written draft from your team will have a lower rate, since the level of effort I provide is less. Timing can also impact projects – if your project is small and easy and you want it within 24 hours, the average rate might still apply. But if you need content from scratch, require a lot of project coordination, and the list of deliverables is long with a tight turn-around time, the rate goes up. 🙂
All things you don’t need to worry about — there are a lot of signals that go into an estimate. Your best bet is to reach out and have a chat! Here are some examples of content I can help you whip into shape:
- White papers, case studies, one-sheeters, marketing messages
- Resumes, speeches, <5 min scripts, websites
- Content and marketing strategy.
- Key messaging / style guides / defining your voice
Longer Content Review Rates
For longer literature (short stories, novellas, novels, biographies, non-fiction): Pricing depends on length. See rates below.
- Line editing – $50/hour (40,000 words ~ 8 hours): Focus on grammar and punctuation, styling, and inconsistencies. Excludes the structure of the book, voice, and tone.
- Full developmental edit – $75/hour (40,000 words ~ 13 hours): Includes line editing (above). Also includes editing for structure, tone/voice, plot/setting, and character development. This includes (via email) in-depth feedback on the work’s strengths and weaknesses, and any relevant suggestions for restructuring your content. This includes changes to story/structure/character/voice based on your goals and audience. This excludes proactive fact-checking.
Projects are often not black and white, since the world isn’t either. After reviewing the above if you’re not sure where your project fits in and you’d like to negotiate a rate, reach out to me anyway. We’re likely to come up with something that works for both of us!
Terms and Booking
- We must both agree to the project scope, terms, and project end date.
- New clients are expected to pay a 50% upfront deposit. I am happy to provide a W9 form once full payment for your project is received. I will absorb any fees, which is included in my pricing.
Established clients have the additional option to wire a deposit to my business checking account, or send me a check. I will not begin work until the check is cashed successfully, so please keep the time delay for mailing / deposit in mind with the project end date discussed below.
- I will then send you an invoice that also serves as a “Statement of Work” (SOW). Your submission of the 50% deposit to my PayPal account at that time serves as agreement to the rate(s) quoted, the services to be provided, and the terms for payment on the remainder of your invoice.
- You agree that expanded project scope hours spent by me on your project will be paid via additional billable hours at a rate we both agree to within the original SOW terms. (That is, if I agree to a project with you for a flat fee, then you change the project significantly requiring me to work on the project for additional hours beyond the original value of that flat fee, you will pay an additional per-hour fee for that time.)
- Upon agreement on both ends that the project is complete, and you are happy with the result, you agree to submit the remainder payment due for your project to me within 14 days.
- PAYMENT PENALTIES: If your project is complete but I do not receive payment within 14 days, I will invoice you on the first of the month following that end/due date for an additional 2% late fee. The late fee will be your unpaid balance on that date + 2% interest on that remainder. I will continue to invoice you monthly until the balance is paid.
- Please be sure to review the payment and project terms above. Submission of the form assumes you read the above and understand it. Submission of your initial deposit means that you have also agreed to the above terms.
- Next, fill out the form below.
- I’ll get back to you promptly with any questions / next steps!
Submit Your Query
*Items with an asterisk are required. I will request this information if it’s not included in your query.